AIWEFA has been participating in International and National Conferences, Meetings, Workshops and Consultations. The contributions of members of AIWEFA have been greatly acknowledged. AIWEFA has been utilising these opportunities to represent different sections of the community, at appropriate Fora like:
- UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), Regional and Preparatory Meetings of the CSW, for issues relating to women, and the girl child, at meetings of the UNICEF on issues relating to children.
- UN Conferences of NGOs where NGOs get special opportunities to share their views on several social, political and economic issues of common interest.
- Meetings convened by the UN both at New York and other venues on Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) etc.
- Meetings organized by the UN ECOSOC at various venues for UN NGO IRENE (Informal Network).
- Meetings of the WTO including the Ministerial in Cancun (Mexico) and Hongkong.
- UN meetings on the Convention of Sustainable Development (CSD), at New York as well as in the Asia Region.
- Various UN and other Regional meetings on Climate Change.
- Meetings of the International Federation of Agricultural Producers.
Most significant amongst these are the 4th UN World Conference on Women at Beijing, China (1995), 44th session of the commission on Status of Women at New York (2000), UN General Assembly on ‘Women 2000 on Gender Equality Development and Peace for the 21st Century’ at New York (2001), 49th session of the Commission on the ‘Status of Women’ at New York (2005).
The attendance at the 27th session of UN General assembly on ‘Child Rights’ at New York (2002) has been significant with further follow up action at the National level.
Attendance at World Summit on ‘Sustainable Development’ at Johannesburg (2002) has been followed by attendance in various regional meetings and 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th sessions for the Commission on Sustainable Development held in UN Headquarters at New York in 2008,2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 by Aiwefa President Dr. Sarala Gopalan. She also attended the FAO meeting at Rome in October 2012.
Other significant occasions have been CONGO General Assembly on ‘Inclusive Global Governance';“Challenge and Opportunities for CONGO in partnership with UN”’ (2003), The 57th UN-DPI (Department of Public Information ) / NGO Conference at New York (2004), ‘High Level Segment Meeting of UN’ at New York (2005) at Geneva (2009), UN-FCC meeting on ‘Climate Change’ at Poznan, Poland (2008) at Copenhagen (2009), at Nagata Japan (2013).
AIWEFA has been attending the annual meetings organized by the China NGO network for International Exchange (CNIE) successively from 2006 -2009. In 2006 Mr. Riaz Umar read a paper on’ Aiwefa’, in 2007 Ms Bulbul Das presented the paper on ‘ Poverty Elevation’, in 2008, Dr. Sarala Gopalan presented a paper on ‘ NGOs and Sustainable Dvelopment’ and in 2009 Ms. Asha Chandra and Ms. Sarla Manchada represented Aiwefa. Ms Chandra presented a paper on ‘ Health Awareness’.
AIWEFA President Dr Sarala Gopalan attended FAO meeting on ‘ Food Security and Women in Agriculture’ at Rome in October 2012 and ‘Climate Change’ meeting at Nagata, Japan in April 2013.
AIWEFA was represented at CSW60 at UN Head Qtrs. New York by Ms. Asha Chandra, President AIWEFA and Ms. Jyotsna Kapur, Executive Member, AIWEFA where they organized a Parallel Event on implementation of SDGs is organising a Parallel Event at CSW61 at UN H.Qtrs New York on 13 March 2017.
At the National Level AIWEFA networks with major organisations like Lady Irwin College, the All India Women’s Conference (AIWC), Indian Child Rights Alliance, Sulabh International, Women’s Watch, Lawyers’ Collective apart from various UN Agencies located in Delhi, and other Bi-lateral Organisations working on various social and economic issues.
AIWEFA takes lead roles in many of these meetings and effectively participates in the critical issues of priority from time to time.